Skip to main content

Vintage Lee: Vintage Lee

Celebrating a Century of Christ-Centered Education at Lee University

Presidents of Lee University, 1918 - Present

by Louis Morgan on 2017-08-24T18:40:00-04:00 | Comments

Since the beginning of the school in 1918 as the Bible Training School, what is now Lee University has been led by 16 individuals. From 1918 to 1922 the school was under the supervision of A.J. Tomlinson, who was the general leader of the Church of God (Cleveland) during that time. Nora Chambers was selected as the first teacher. In 1922 the sponsoring denomination created the office of Superintendent of Education, and F.J. Lee was elected to fulfill those duties. From 1926 to 1935 the superintendent of the school was appointed by the Board of Education of the denomination. In 1942 the title was changed to "President of Bible Training School and College" and the office was appointed by the school's Board of Directors, which process continues presently. The longest serving president of the institution is Dr. Paul Conn, who currently is serving his 32nd year in this role. The late Dr. Charles W. Conn is the only individual to have been honored with the title "President Emeritus." He served as president of the school from 1970 to 1982. The presidents of the institution include:

A. J. Tomlinson 1918 - 1922
F. J. Lee 1922 - 1923
J. B. Ellis 1923 - 1924
T. S. Payne 1924 - 1930
J. H. Walker Sr. 1930 - 1935; 1944 - 1945
Zeno C. Tharp 1935 - 1944
E. L. Simmons 1945 - 1948
J. Stewart Brinsfield 1948 - 1951
John C. Jernigan 1951 - 1952
R. Leonard Carroll 1952 - 1957
Rufus L. Platt 1957 - 1960
Ray H. Hughes 1960 - 1966; 1982 - 1984
James A. Cross 1966 - 1970
Charles W. Conn 1970 - 1982
R. Lamar Vest 1984 - 1986
Charles Paul Conn 1986 - Present

 

Submitted by Louis F. Morgan, Ph.D. - Director of Library Services


 Add a Comment

0 Comments.

  Subscribe



Enter your e-mail address to receive notifications of new posts by e-mail.


  Archive



  Return to Blog
This post is closed for further discussion.